Woman, 22, dies after falling into coma while in Iran vice squad custody | CNN



A 22-year-old Iranian woman has died after being arrested by Iran’s vice squad earlier this week, Iran’s semi-official website Etemad Online reported, citing her uncle.

Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi has ordered an investigation into the circumstances surrounding her death, Iran’s state news agency ISNA reported Friday.

On Tuesday evening, Mahsa Amini and her family, who had traveled from Iran’s Kurdistan region to visit relatives in the capital Tehran, were stopped by a vice squad – a special unit that enforces strict dress codes for women, including wearing the mandatory headscarf.

According to IranWire, human rights activists who spoke to the family say police grabbed Amini and forced her into a police vehicle.

Her brother, Kiarash, tried to intervene and was told his sister was being taken to the police station for an hour of “re-education,” IranWire reported.

Kiarash said he never saw his sister awake again.

While he waited outside the police station for her to be released, an ambulance pulled up and discreetly took his sister to the hospital.

In an interview with IranWire, Kiarash said he was told she had suffered a heart attack or stroke at the police station and was in a coma.

On Thursday, Tehran police said Amini had suffered a “heart attack” after her arrest on Tuesday.

“The woman was sent to a police station in Greater Tehran for counseling and education when she suddenly had a heart attack in the presence of other people,” police said.

Amini’s family has questioned the police’s version of events, saying she was a normal, healthy 22-year-old with no pre-existing heart disease.

“There was only two hours between her arrest and her admission to the hospital,” Kiarash told IranWire.

A video released by Iranian state television claimed Amini walked into an “educational” center where she was alleged to have been given “guidance” on decent Islamic dress, state media said.

The edited video shows CCTV footage of a woman sitting down and then getting up to talk to an ‘expert’ who touches her clothes before falling to the floor.

The next clip shows five men carrying her on a stretcher, seemingly unconscious. An ambulance is then shown in another frame.

There is an edit in the video at 19 seconds after which the woman is seen standing up and speaking. Before the cut, the daylight seems outside. It appears dark after cutting.

“Madam. Amini looks unwell and falls to the ground,” said the state media reporter.

It remains unknown what happened to Amini after her arrest and before she appeared at the reeducation center. CNN cannot verify that the woman in the video is Amini.

Iranian officials said Saturday they had performed an autopsy on Amini’s body. The director of Iran’s Forensic Medical Organization, Mehdi Forrozesh, said on state television that the results would be announced after further investigation by medical experts.

Jake Sullivan, national security adviser to US President Joe Biden, tweeted Friday that the White House is deeply concerned about Amini’s death.

Amini,” was reportedly beaten into custody by the Iranian vice squad. Her death is unforgivable. We will continue to hold Iranian officials accountable for such human rights violations,” Sullivan tweeted.

Source link